Saturday, April 19, 2014

RSD 2014: What I Got


So I was not able to pick up my first choice (Paramore's Vinyl single) as that release was limited to 2700 copies throughout the nation. As mentioned earlier, Coldplay's "Midnight" was delayed in the United States so I wasn't able to get that either. I ended up passing up Zedd's release because it was going to cost me too much for what I would have gotten. I was however able to pick up the PRISM picture disc set for $26 and Green Day's Demolicious for $15. I also managed to pick up some free extras from my wait in line. I snagged Five Seven Music's 2014 Label Sampler CD, Verve Record's The New Sound of Verve, The Dream's 2013 EP Climax (in promotional format), a limited edition single cover art for Neon Trees' "Sleeping With A Friend", Big Sean's 2012 "Guap" promotional $100 bill, a patch, a Record Store Day 2014 tattoo, a Record Store Day 2014 shopping bag, a promotional RSD button, a Red Bull sponsored vinyl EP titled Divided and 6 promotional posters. Divided features songs from Tapioca and the Flea, Bagheera, Denitia and Sene, and Thurz. The posters were as follows: Neon Trees' "Pop Psychology" album promo poster, 2 American Authors promo posters (one for just the band and one promoting their album), Kerli's "Utopia" EP promo poster, Bob Marely's "Legend Remixed" album reissue poster and Parachute's album poster.

As a note, Record Store Day audiences were at an all time high, as thousands lined up around the country earlier than in previous years. Workers at my local store were completely shocked at the lines of crowds drawing into the store. By 11:45 AM, my store was nearly sold out of all Record Store Day exclusives they had been shipped. My store, being one of the smaller ones in the area, had nearly 50 people in line at a single time (when I got there). I purchased the last Green Day CD in their inventory and their second to last copy of the picture disc version of PRISM. Of course I sucked them dry of posters and promo EPs, taking over half of the items I saw (yes I drew some eyes). I still spent less than $50 and got a ton of bonus material that made this trip worth my while. Last year on Record Store Day, I had waltzed into my store at 2 or 3 PM and they still had almost all their releases and no line. I am not really sure what was going on, and why this year there was a massive rush, but I have heard that this year the promotion drew a 'record' (I'm funny) amount of shoppers

To those asking: No I did not see any copies of One Direction's "Midnight Memories" picture disc single. I have heard that those were NOT limited and that other retailers will begin stalking them in 4 to 6 weeks. Also, Green Day's Demolicious CD was not limited (vinyl was) but it won't see release at other retailers.

The most limited release this year was Decathect by We Must Dismantle This!, which was limited to just 50 copies overall.

So that's it for RSD 2014! See you next year!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips