Saturday, May 24, 2014

Summer Albums: My Top 10

As you guys already know, the music industry will be serving up some fresh new albums from an array of artists both old and new. I will say, that this year's crop looks to be more mixed bag, with several notable artists failing to impress me (based on preview tracks I have heard so far). That's a bit of a disappointment, though I may actually be rushing out to stores to puck up more albums than I did last year. Anyway, let's kick off my list of most anticipated summer releases, and more importantly my list of least anticipated albums of summer 2014.

Eligibility Period: May 26th - September 16th.

Runner Ups:
New Eyes by Clean Bandit
Trigga by Trey Songz

10. "Platinum" by Miranda Lambert
Release Date: June 3rd, 2014
I don't typically tend to enjoy country songs (let alone entire albums), but I found myself placing country superstar Miranda Lambert's 5th album at #10 on my list of most anticipated albums of the summer. Am I crazy? Is the world coming to an end? Is the selection of pop albums in the summer of 2014 going to be that pitiful? No, no and no. I placed this album on my list because I am actually impressed with what I've heard so far. Her 4 previous albums were pretty much all busts to me, but Platinum, may actually be capable of producing a CDS Music Chart Hot 50 hit ("Somethin' Bad").

All I can say is: Congratulations country music. Don't EVER expect me to place a country album on a list like this again (exceptions: Carrie Underwood and Lady Antebellum).

9. "Unapologetic B*tch/Rebel Heart" by Madonna
Release Date: May 26th, 2014
Okay! This just in! Apparently, Madonna's 13th studio album, Rebel Heart, will be released on Memorial Day as a surprise release. If not, the album's first single, "Unapologetic B*tch", will be released on Monday (Memorial Day). The track was written by Madonna, Natalia Kills and Katy Perry and could feature both of those artists. Everything is up in the air, but Billboard will reportedly leak the news this weekend.

The teaser announcement (which bumped Trey Songz's Trigga off the top 10 anticipated albums list) was made about 1 hour ago. More information as it becomes available. Keep in mind, if the album does come out in full on May 26th, it will directly compete with Mariah Carey's 13th studio album, Me. I Am Mariah, which will be released on May 27th.


8. "Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse" by Mariah Carey
Release Date: May 27th, 2014
Though it may perhaps be the most ridiculous album title in history, Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse receives a positive review from me. Loaded with hip-hop, pop, R&B, and soul tinged tracks, Mariah Carey's new album is a welcomed improvement over her 2009 disaster (Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel). Among the highlights? "Thirsty", "Faded" and "You're Mine (Eternal).

With that being said, some noticeable flaws keep it from reaching higher on this list. First of all, all 3 versions of the album cover are absolutely hideous, with the worst being the Target version. Additionally, several of the tracks feel a bit unnecessary, and the deluxe edition fails to offer anything we haven't already heard.

7. "Untitled" by Robin Thicke
Release Date: July 1st, 2014
Less than a year after scoring one of the longest running #1 tracks in the history of Billboard ("Blurred Lines"), Robin Thicke has confirmed that he will return with another new album on July 1st. Preceded by lead single, "Get Her Back", Thicke's upcoming 7th studio effort follows his best selling 6th studio release, Blurred Lines.

Now normally I wouldn't include Thicke for a number of reasons. First of all, "Get Her Back" is one of his weakest tracks in recent years. Second of all, before 2013 I had no interest in him at all. Lastly, by the time "Blurred Lines" was off the radio, I wanted to burn every remaining copy of it. Fortunately for Robin, the entire Blurred Lines album actually impressed me quite a bit. It didn't fit together the right way, but it had strong key components.

6. "Do It Again" by Röyksopp & Robyn
Release Date: May 26th, 2014
I haven't heard much from Röyksopp before, but I have experienced the sounds of Swedish singer Robyn multiple times. With that being said, I normally wouldn't pick an collaboration EP to appear on this list, but lead single, "Do It Again", blew me away. It's an amazing mixture of dance, electronic music and pop music all rolled into one unstoppable jam.

"Do It Again" debuts at #24 on the CDS Music Chart Hot 50 this week, as the second highest debuting track.

5. "A.K.A" by Jennifer Lopez
Release Date: June 17th, 2014
Though this album cycle has been plagued by several failed singles,  I have seemed to enjoy past album cycles from Lopez, which leads me to believe that I can still have a bit of faith in this project.

The album's first single, "I Luh Ya Papi", failed to become a success. The album's second official single, "First Love" reached the CDS Music Chart Hot 50, but didn't match the #11 peak of Jennifer Lopez's last hit, "Live It Up".


4. "X" by Ed Sheeran
Release Date: June 23rd, 2014
Ed Sheeran is finally back, and based on his more recent endeavors ("I See Fire" and "Sing"), I've finally decided that I'm interested in hearing more of what the young English singer has to offer.

His second studio set, X, comes after the release of his critically acclaimed debut studio set, +. That album spawned several hit tracks including "The A Team" and my personal favorite "Lego House". Hopefully this new album will live up to the hype and at least match the success of his last album. If it doesn't I would actually be thoroughly surprised.

3. "Ultraviolence" by Lana Del Rey
Release Date: June 16th, 2014
One of the most hyped albums of the year, one of my most anticipated albums of the year and an album I expect will crush all the competition during its release week (including, but not limited to, Sam Smith's In the Lonely Hour and Jennifer Lopez's A.KA.). Coming off her most successful single around the world ("Summertime Sadness"), Lana Del Rey has been catapulted into the mainstream spotlight (though that might not have never been her intention).

Her moody, ballad like tracks have started to help her garner lots of attention, with critics and fans alike praising her intense vocal ability. Ultraviolence's lead single, "West Coast", reached #28 on the CDS Music Chart Hot 50, becoming her second highest charting track after her #3 peaking "Summertime Sadness". The album's second single, "Shades of Cool" drops on iTunes this Monday alongside the album's pre-order.

2. "1000 Forms of Fear" by Sia
Release Date: July 8th, 2014
Sia, without a doubt, is one of the music industry's most experienced song writers. She's written/co-written dozens of hit songs for Rihanna, Eminem, David Guetta, Madonna (though none made the album), Flo Rida, Ne-Yo, Britney Spears, Jessie J, Rita Ora, Christina Aguilera, Celine Dion, Jennifer Lopez, Kylie Minogue, Katy Perry, Beyoncé and Shakira among others. Additionally, her latest single, "Chandelier", caught my eye. it eventually peaked at #11 on the CDS Music Chart Hot 50 (though it's still elevating). If her new album is anything like "Chandelier", then I expect I'll be very pleased with the outcome. July 8th can't come soon enough!

1. "V" by Maroon 5
Release Date: September 2nd, 2014
If you didn't see this coming, then you obviously haven't been following this blog for a long time. During 2012 (around the time Overexposed came out), the band notched a record 7 consecutive top 5 singles (6 from Overexposed). Additionally, all were certified Gold or higher, making them the only act to have their entire charting discography be certified.

V will be preceded by the release of a new single this summer. The title and exact release are still up in the air.

Now for the extremely hyped albums that didn't make my cut.

"In the Lonely Hour" by Sam Smith
Release Date: June 17th, 2014
Honestly. I don't understand what people see in Sam Smith. All 4 singles from this album failed to impress me, and "La La La" (which Sam Smith is featured on) was a mediocre track (at best). The only track that includes Sam Smith that I actually like is "Latch", and since that track is not included on the album, there is absolutely no way I'll buy this album.

Even if I was handed this album for free, I would still deeply consider lighting it on fire.

"The Secret" by Austin Mahone
Release Date: May 27th, 2014
I don't know who you think you are Austin Mahone, but 6 songs is not an album, so stop calling it one. To make matters worse, his only good song, "What About Love, was left off the final track list. I don't understand what he's trying to do here. He has 7 other tracks that he could have attached on to this 'album' (some of which are decent), but instead he left them off for no good reason. His whole marketing scheme is ridiculous and makes absolutely no sense. This is a waste.


"The Hunting Party" by LINKIN PARK
Release Date: June 17th, 2014
I think that we can all agree that LINKIN PARK releases the same songs every time they have a new album, they just slightly rework them, make a new album cover and make a few music videos. Nearly all of their tracks sound exactly the same (though there will occasionally be a decent tracks hidden in with the rubble).

But based on the two preview tracks I've heard so far, "The Hunting Party" is going to be another dud, a bomb of stuff we've already heard. Instead of releasing a 'new' album every two years in the summer, take a few years off and make another Minutes to Midnight.

Other albums that will likely do well that I will NOT be purchasing:
Whispers by Passenger
Yes! by Jason Maraz
Lazaretto by Jack White
5 Seconds to Summer by 5 Seconds to Summer

No comments :

Post a Comment

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips