Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Top 10 Worst Songs of 2013

So I just finished my year end top 100 songs. I decided why not do a Top 10 Worst Songs of 2013. The only rule is that a song can only be in my top 10 worst if it hasn't already made my top 50:

Some honorable mentions that were barred from making the list include:

"Come & Get It" by Selena Gomez

"Gas Pedal (feat. IamSu)" by Sage the Gemini

"When I Was Your Man" by Bruno Mars

Now let's start off the top 10 worst songs of 2013:


10. "Say Something (feat. Christina Aguilera)" by A Great Big World
While it may be extremely popular in the United States (and in some other countries worldwide), this song is terribly heartbreaking, saddening and inconsiderate. The added vocals from Christina don't help. The song is about leaving a lover in the midst of an accident or moment of need. A true dud.


9. "It's My Party" by Jessie J
After her surprising success with "Wild (feat. Big Sean)", Jessie J proved that she couldn't maintain her successful streak. With cheesy lyrics and distorted vocals, the song truly is a mess. It would rank higher on the list, but fortunately it wasn't able to crack into the mainstream American Top 40 radio.



8. "Best Song Ever" by One Direction
While "One Way Or Another (Teenage Kicks)" didn't make the list because it wasn't a majorly played song on radio, "Best Song Ever" became a moderate United States radio hit. It annoyed the crap out of me mainly because the song contains crappy lyrics and really isn't the 'best song ever'.



7. "Walks Like Rihanna" by The Wanted
Even worse then fellow boy band One Direction, The Wanted released their worst song to date this year. "Walks Like Rihanna" is simply dumb and it is completely mind boggling that a professional band would ever even consider releasing a song that talks about the way Rihanna walks. A terrible effort that borders the edge of insanity.


6. "The Fox (What Does The Fox Say?)" by Ylvis
Likely the most annoying song of the year, it didn't catch onto radio but was a major streaming and download success. It ranks lower on the list because I didn't ever hear the song unless I decided to watch the video on YouTube (for a laugh or two).




5. "Get Lucky (feat. Pharrell Williams)" by Daft Punk
While almost everyone enjoyed what ended up as one of the Summer's biggest hits, I felt that this song was disgusting and completely inappropriate for the average person to hear on the radio. I despised this song for almost all of 2013 but toward the end of the year, several other songs annoyed me even more. Either way, Pharrell Williams had one of the best years of his career and I can't do anything to change that.

4. "Let Her Go" by Passenger
Though this song came out in mid 2012, it didn't explode until 2013. This song sounds like a 6 year old tune that was released as part of a baby lullaby compilation album. It is too slow and sounds very squeaky. He honestly sounds like he is dying while trying to preform this and it really just doesn't work. A terrible song that needs to be 'let go'. Please don't ever release another song Passenger, my ears are bleeding.


3. "Holy Grail (feat. Justin Timberlake)" by Jay Z

"Suit & Tie (feat. Jay Z)" didn't end up reaching my worst of 2013 list (though it ranks #11), but this track did. It is much worse. Filled with auto-tune, screeching noises and woeful lyrics, and Jay Z's typical "uhhhh" after every sentence it is a perfect example of how songs are more popular when the artist is well known. This pile of waste reached #4 on Billboard's Hot 100 and did really well at radio (of course). Fortunately, the rest of Jay Z's album is better than this song and there is some hope for the rapper to make my top 50 later on. I definitely was disappointed with this effort and was shocked that this song was picked as the album's lead single over other good tracks like "Tom Ford" and "Part II (On the Run)".


2. "Started From the Bottom" by Drake
Drake started off 2013 with "Started From the Bottom" being (in my opinion) the second worst song (so far). At the end of 2013, I am still ranking it #2, but behind a new #1 ("Suit & Tie" as previously noted was originally #1 before slipping off the top 10 when a buttload of terrible songs were released). I felt that this song was actually an embarrassment to the music industry. Thankfully, Drake redeemed himself when he released the #5 peaking "Hold On, We're Going Home".


1. "23 (feat. Miley Cyrus, Wiz Khalifa, and Juicy J)" by Mike Will Made It
And here we are. The worst song of 2013. Many called it (2013) the year of Miley Cyrus (or the year of twerking but that's about the same). The song is filled with many weird production and composition marks (laughs, auto-tune, distorted vocals, non-ryhming lyrics, etc.). I wasn't expecting much out of this collaboration but honestly this is just some lazy writing and producing.

Leave a comment telling me what your least favorite song was this year! If you disagree leave a comment and I'll get back to you.

Think I forgot something? Let me know below!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips